Street by Street Guide
- Blake Street 360° Photo
- Duncombe Place
- High Petergate
- Low Petergate
- North Street
- Peasholme Green 360° Photo
- St. Saviourgate
- St. Saviour’s Place
- St. Leonard’s Place 360° Photo
- Tanner Row
+44 (0) 1904 627 205Fax:
Bootham means ‘at the booths’ and probably refers to booths erected near Bootham Bar, which were used for a weekly market held by the monks of St Mary’s Abbey.
Bootham is a continuation of Petergate outside the city walls beyond Bootham Bar. There has been a gateway here for nearly 2000 years and Bootham Bar stands on the site of one of the four main entrances to the Roman fortress.
The existing structure is not Roman but it has been around for quite a while. The archway itself dates from the 11th century and the rest of the structure is largely from the 14th century. In 1501 a door knocker was installed as Scots were required to knock first and seek permission from the Lord Major to enter the city.
A stretch of the wall of St Mary’s Abbey runs along the southern side of the street.
Current usage: Offices of HPH Chartered Accountants and York Conservation Trust
Acquired by the Trust: 1986
Built: Between 1840-1845
Current usage:York Register Office and Drivers, Solicitors
Acquired by the Trust: 2003
Current usage: Residential accommodation
Acquired by the Trust: 1965
Current usage:Offices of The Council for British Archaeology
Acquired by the Trust: 2004
Use the search facility to find a property Input a street address or property name into the box below and click the Search button to find out if we are involved with a particular property.