Street by Street Guide
- Blake Street 360° Photo
- Duncombe Place
- High Petergate
- Low Petergate
- North Street
- Peasholme Green 360° Photo
- St. Saviourgate
- St. Saviour’s Place
- St. Leonard’s Place 360° Photo
- Tanner Row
+44 (0) 1904 627 205Fax:
Originally all numbered 8 this property, built in the early to mid 18th century, was probably two dwellings, one of which was occupied by Mr John Ash in 1797. In 1830 it was acquired by William Plows, stonemason, who had previously occupied part of the premises.
The front of the building seems to have been remodelled, with new sashes and a new eaves cornice, in 1767; this date appears on a rainwater head. The lower part is now a shop front. The back is irregular with projecting wings, one of which overlaps No. 6. The easternmost is mainly of the 19th century. Inside, two original staircases remain.
Behind the house and 5 feet below ground level, a short length of stone walling, probably medieval, was uncovered in 1960.
This property was acquired by the Trust in 1984 and is now occupied by a shop on the ground floor with residential flats above, which are combined with the Trust’s neighbouring property, No. 6.
Use the search facility to find a property Input a street address or property name into the box below and click the Search button to find out if we are involved with a particular property.